What Is Founder’s Syndrome?
Founder’s Syndrome is an autoimmune disease in which the very force behind the initial growth of the business (the founder) begins to have a detrimental effect on the business’s growth and sustainability.
What Are the Causes?
There are 2 primary causes of Founder’s Syndrome…
- Chronic Undercapitalization or Lack of Resources
- Fear of Criticism
- Aversion to Risk
- Trust Issues
- Inability to Let Go
- Positive Entrepreneurial Traits Taken to the EXTREME:
- Attention to Detail Becomes MICROMANAGEMENT
- Need for Flexibility Becomes ADDICTION TO CHAOS
- Perseverance Becomes STUBBORNNESS
- Self-Determination Becomes CONTROL FREAK
If you know someone with Founder’s Syndrome – How Can You Help?
- Be a trusted resource
- Have a private conversation
- Speak truth to power
- Be firm: don’t enable bad behavior
- Be gentle: that person is having a hard time
- The longer you wait to act, the worse it gets!